UK Beauty, Fashion & Lifestyle

Thursday 25 June 2015

The Cheap & Easy Way To Clean Your Makeup Sponge

I have a love/hate relationship with my Real Techniques makeup sponge. Yes, it works like a dream- but cleaning it? Not fun. In addition, it looks like it requires a wash after only a few uses. 

I have however found an effective way of saying goodbye to the majority of those pesky foundation stains using ingredients you will almost definitely have in your kitchen. Yes, it's a boring task, but these babies harbour bacteria as well as looking ugly when you leave them unwashed. Whilst I've found this method to be seriously good, I must add that so many people find certain foundations simply stain these sponges permanently (I'm looking at you, Revlon Colourstay.) Nevertheless, I believe that this will at least budge the worst of it.

You will need:
- A tablespoon of olive oil
-A tablespoon of washing up liquid
-A running tap
-A bit of patience 

Let's get started!
I like to add the oil and soap onto a plate and ensure I have a clean towel at hand for when the sponge is clean. Don't use all the mixture to start with, but coat the sponge in it and then the work can begin. 

Think of the method as 'pushing' the product out of the sponge. Once a lot of it has come out (your sink will start to get a bit gross) then you can run the sponge under the water and begin again. It usually takes me at least three rounds of serious massaging to get the sponge looking clean. You will know it's actually clean when you squeeze it and the liquid wrung out is clear. 
I honestly don't believe anyone who says they can get their sponge looking brand new after prolonged use, but trust me when I say that it's very possible that you can get it looking pretty darn clean. This method also ensures that any bacteria inside is washed out- and that's a lot more important than the look of it!

Til next time xo
SHARE:

19 comments

  1. ohhh long time I havent visited your blog. Lovely post. I have the same sponge and barely use it

    xx

    Dominika from http://www.mycupofbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw nice to see you again Dominika! Thanks for stopping by xo

      Delete
  2. Mind=Blown. I never though I could clean anything using oil. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not 100% sure why it works but it does! I always see experts saying you should wash your brushes with a bit of oil to stop them from drying out...so I guess it just balances out the harshness of using soap alone x

      Delete
  3. I have the Real Techniques sponge! I just got it rrcently and while I love it, it just dirties up so quickly! Gaaah! Thank you so much for this tip! I'm doing it right now! <3

    xx Bash | Hey Bash | bloglovin'

    Moved to: http://www.heybash.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bash! It's such a brilliant, affordable blender but it's stupid how often it needs cleaning! Thank you for your sweet comment xo

      Delete
  4. Oh man! This is so cool! Thanks for the great idea! I will definitely try on this one! I will always come across this silly problem with my make up sponges and i have to get new ones anytime sooner after i have used it at least less than a week. Feel like a big wastage but anyways, thanks to you for this lovely idea! xx I hope it will work great with me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Paramjit! Thank you for your comment. Yeah, definitely...the original beauty blender isn't cheap for what is, essentially, just a sponge...so this trick is definitely worth trying. I hope it works on yours! xo

      Delete
  5. I'm so with you, love my sponge, hate the cleaning. I usually end up using shampoo to clean it and it gets most of it out, but looking brand new? Heck no. This is great but do you feel as if the olive oil makes the sponge feel oily? I tried using baby oil to clean mine once and it was a complete disaster! I had to throw it out because I could never get the oil out of it! xx

    www.iridescentplaces.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Honestly, every time I've done this it's worked perfectly. You don't need much at all but it just stops the sponge from going dry and breaking up xx

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've proper selected to build a blog, which I hold been deficient to do for a during. Acknowledges for this inform, it's really serviceable!
    top-5-best-makeup-sponges

    ReplyDelete
  9. I exactly got what you mean, thanks for posting. And, I am too much happy to find this website on the world of Google. cbd deals justcbd

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. cbd full spectrum oil

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work! Jersey City cleaning service

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's really an awesome article. Everything is clear. Thanks for sharing. Also can visit GivemeCrack.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a love/hate relationship with Rajshahi best it my Real Techniques makeup sponge. Yes, it works like a dream- but cleaning it? Not fun. In addition, it looks like it requires a wash after only a few uses.

    ReplyDelete

© Getting to Nomi

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig